While I am currently celebrating that my best friend is doing well after her house was hit by the floods caused by Typhoon Ondoy, I’ve finally shed some tears regarding what has happened… all because my sister blogged about how proud she is to be a Filipino, even if she no longer calls the Philippines “home”.
So today, as it has been for the past few days, I feel an overwhelming pride in being Filipino. I told my girls: Look at what our countrymen would do for others, and look at why even if you grew up in the US, you will always have this bond with Filipinos you’ve never met before. This is really what the Filipino soul is made of. There is a Muelmar Magallanes in each of us if we look hard enough because sometimes, you just throw caution to the wind and you just do what you have to do.
(Photos from my contacts and friends at Facebook, Flickr, Multiply, Tumblr and Twitter.)
For those who would like to help —
1) Attend "Raise the Roof"
A Benefit Concert for the Victims of Typhoon Ondoy
Where: Mega Tent, Meralco Ave.
When: Show starts at 2pm, October 1
Entrance fee: Its either you pay 100php or bring a "SURVIVAL PACk" that includes 1L of water, 2 pcs of canned goods, 2 pcs of instant noodle packs and some crackers.
2) You may visit the ff sites (just click on the images):
3) Donate via SMS:
4) And for those in other countries (kudos to moongirl for this list):
- ABS-CBN Foundation: http://www.abs-cbnfoundation.com/donate.php
- Ateneo Alumni Northeast, Inc: http://www.atenista-usa.org/site/featured-articles/help-for-ondoy-victims/
- Australian Red Cross: https://www.redcross.org.au/Donations/onlineDonations.asp
- Ayala Foundation: http://af-usa.org/donate_now_form.asp (select AFI-Typhoon Relief Fund in drop down menu)
- Global Giving: http://www.globalgiving.com/projects/philippines-flood-disaster-fund/
- HOPE Worldwide: https://www.hopeww.org/NetCommunity/SSLPage.aspx?pid=1227&srctid=1&erid=162143
- PhilippineAid.com: http://www.philippineaid.com/
- Philippine National Red Cross: http://www.redcross.org.ph/Site/PNRC/Default.aspx?S=48&SS=972
- TXTPower (Paypal): http://technology.inquirer.net/infotech/infotech/view/20090927-227196/Help-Ondoy-victims-via-Paypal
- Xoom: http://ronaldredito.org/blog/321/ondoy-donation-using-xoo/
- World Food Programme: https://www.wfp.org/donate/ondoy
Donate by Phone
- USA: Call the American Red Cross at 1-800-435-7669. Please choose the 3rd option (International Donation), then tell the operator that your donation is for the Ondoy (Ketsana) typhoon victims in the Philippines.
Donate Through Your Community
There might be people in your community gathering relief goods and donations. Find them and go.
- Australia (Melbourne): Drop-off donations near the Melbourne CBD through Coco Quizon’s residence @ 8 Vale St., North Melbourne. You can contact Coco through 0458603723
- Australia (Sydney): Deliver donations to 303/5 Stromboli Strait, Homebush Bay 2127. message twitter.com/allorange for questions
- Australia: http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1100222/Philippines-floods:-How-you-can-help
- Australia: Filipino students in Australia are also helping out by collecting 5-dollar pledges. Contact Coco Quizon 0458603723 (Melbourne), Aiya Buendia 0437 967 259 (Sydney) and Michelle Leonardo email@example.com (Canberra)
- Australia: PAL shipping donations from Australia Free Of Charge! Sydney Delivery point for donations in kind: Revesby Press 3/50 George Street Granville. Ph:9760 0933. Urgently seeking donations of clothes, blankets, canned goods, medical supplies. Please segregate clothing according to: infants, girls, boys, women, men, shoes! Please call 0414-736-231.
- Austria: Cash: message Charmaine Taus (firstname.lastname@example.org). she’s having a benefit concert on October 22! concert details to follow.
- Belgium: For those based in Belgium they can contact Shiera Catalan at +32485328811 if they want to donate goods for typhoon relief
- California (Burlingame): MANILA BOX USA is now accepting donations in kind & will provide FREE shipping to Manila. Items will be sent by Sea Cargo and will delivered to the Whitespace Relief Center/Mar Roxas Headquarters in Cubao. Please drop them off at their warehouse: 361 Beach Road Burlingame , CA 94010 or call (650)342-2858. Please pack them in boxes for easier handling. Business hours Mon-Fri 9am-6pm
- California (Carson/Hermosa Beach): We are collecting donations to send to flood victims in Manila. Our goal is to fill up a 40ft container in one week with new or used clothing,shoes, blankets,medicines,canned food items, etc. Dropoff Location : 205 West Torrance Blvd, Carson, CA 90745. We will be setting up a booth on Oct 3, 2009 at the Substance event in Hermosa Beach CA. THANK YOU and God Bless Manila. TWITTER (Socal4Ondoy)
- California (Cerritos): Our house is temp drop off point while we find a bigger venue. We’ll facilitate immediate shipment to Manila. Thank you in advance for your help. Pls pass. Dino & Jan Home:16622 Amberwood Way Cerritos, CA 90703; (562)404-0625
- California (Hayward): Fil-Am Invitational BasketballLeague(FIBL) will send out relief goods in the philippines for the victims of the floods cause by typhoon ondoy…. if you want to make a donation clothing,canned goods or money please bring it on sunday 10/04/09 @ el rancho gym 541 blanche st. hayward ca. from 2:00 – 6:00pm please visit our website for direction
- California (Daly City): Please contact Ryan Leano (626)534-4971. Liwanag Cultural Center, Hillside Park Clubhouse, 222 Lausanne Ave., Daly City, CA 94014.
- California (LA): Relief goods accepted in LA! ANSWER ofc, 137 Virgil St, Rm 203, Los Angeles, CA
- California (LA): TULONG SA PILIPINAS (STP): Accepting donations cash or check. Send to People’s CORE, 1610 Beverly Blvd. Suite No 2, Los Angeles, Ca 90026. Donations more than $50 is tax deductible. Material donations drop off ( donations; shoes, clothes, canned goods. medicines etc. ) at ANSWER LA office at 137 Virgil St. Room 203 , Los Angeles, CA 900042.
- California (Oakland): Please contact Ryan Leano (626)534-4971. Asian Pacific Islander Youth Promoting Advocacy & Leadership. Attn: Armael Malinis, AnakBayan-East Bay. 310 8th Street, Suite 215. Oakland, CA 94710
- California (San Francisco): Stanford’s Pilipino American Student Union (PASU) is also collecting donations to be sent to the Philippines to help victims of Typhoon Ondoy (international name Ketsana). If you would like to make a donation, please contact AV David at email@example.com or (650) 491-4561.
- California (San Francisco): http://naffaar8.com/typhoon-ondoy-ketsana-disaster-relief-efforts-in-san-francisco-ca/
- Canada: http://byncan.wordpress.com/2009/09/28/bayan-canada-appeals-for-help-for-typhoon-ondoy-victims/
- Canada (Montreal): http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Local+Filipinos+mobilizing+help+flood+victims/2041585/story.html
- Canada (Toronto): Filipinos and Friends in Toronto, here’s how to help the victims of Typhoon Ondoy (intl name Ketsana): http://pidctoronto.com/projects/typhoon also see: http://bit.ly/28PDXf Thank You!
- Germany: Contact Denise Matias at firstname.lastname@example.org or +63917-4280966 (text only, no calls).
- Hong Kong: Filipinos in HONG KONG… Here’s how you can help: Ateneo Almuni Association HK is calling for donations to support relief efforts for the victims of Typhoon Ketsana (Ondoy) in the Philippines. Contact: Mike Reyes at +852.67131869
- Illinois: Contact Raymond Maximo of Northern Illinois University – email@example.com.
- Japan: Japan Red Cross: http://www.jrc.or.jp/english/index.html. They’re acception donations from September 30 until October 30. More info: http://www.jrc.or.jp/kokusai/news/l4/Vcms4_00001289.html
- London: Cash: Acct. Name: P. A. Cortez / Acct. Num.: 58099901 / Bank: HSBC UK / Sort Code: 400500
- Malaysia: For those in Malaysia, LBC is accepting donations in cash and kind. Their numbers are: 2026-8536 / 2070-0557. The office I know is at Kota Raya in KL.
- Netherlands: Donate (bank transfer) to: NFS – Nederlands-Filippijnse Solidariteitsbeweging (’Dutch-Filipino Solidarity Movement). Location: Leiden. Postgiro: 8118425. Subject: Support for flood victims / “Steun aan slachtoffers van grote overstroming”
- New Jersey: Sinugba Cafe – 561 Westside Ave. Jersey City, NJ 07304; or Casa Victoria – 691 Newark Ave. Jersey City, NJ 07306-2803 You can send CASH through Metro Bank acct. 3 189 14540 1 For BAYAN’s “BALSA” (Bayanihan Alay sa Sambayanan). For donations in New Jersey please contact: (201)621-3156-Yves Nibungco or (917)476-7855- Nick Cordero
- New York: Ondoy New York Disaster Relief drop off center @ Pandayan Center, 406 W 40th St. Between 9th and 10th Aves. New York, NY 10018 or call 212.564.6057.
- New York: NAFCON (Nat’l Alliance for Filipino Concerns)/SANDIWA Nat’l Alliance of Fil-Am Youth are now receiving relief donations (clothes, blankets, medical supplies, monetary). NY drop-off @ BAYANIHAN Filipino Community Center, 40-21 69th St. Woodside, NY 11377. Call (516)901-1832 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to help.
- New Zealand: For people donating from New Zealand go to: http://www.tearfund.org.nz or phone 0800 800 777
- Oregon: Cash: message Welo Chuidian Rivera (email@example.com), or check out her note: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=143295770052
- Singapore: Drop-off point for donations is Afreight Cargo, #03-09 Lucky Plaza, Orchard Rd. Contact Maureen Schepers 6235-1011. Get more information here: http://www.pinoysg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=664644#664644
- South Korea: For the Filipinos and concerned citizens in South Korea: Pease support PIKO (Pinoy Iskolars sa Korea) fund-raising campaign for the Ondoy flood victims in the Philippines. Let us all help by donating to KOOKMIN BANK ACCOUNT NUMBER (498101-01-232756). Your help counts!
- Thailand (Bangkok): The Philippine Embassy will be receiving only donations in kind (ie., used clothing, shoes, blankets, and the like, and canned goods) …anytime between 9am-5pm until Fri. For queries, please contact the Philippine Embassy at (02) 259-0139 up to 40 or (08) 992-65954, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- UAE (Dubai): Lingap Kapwa – Ondoy Victims: We need to unite once again to help our Kabayans back in the Philippines that were badly affected by typhoon Ondoy. Current requirement: Clothings, Food, Money. Please get in touch with Pres. Jo (050-7456452 email@example.com). 3 Drop Off Points for the donations: West Zone Supermarket (Karama, Satwa and Deira)
- United Kingdom: Visit the OXFAM website
Pilipinas, sa bawat pagsubok , may araw na tiyak sisikat.